6 April 2001
At 31 March 2001, there were 31,314,300 mobile telephony clients in France, for 52% penetration of the population.
During the first quarter 2001, net growth of operators' client numbers were (overseas départements included):
- France Telecom: 778,800 clients
- Cegetel-SFR: 456,100 clients
- Bouygues Telecom: 398,100 clients
These figures reflect a contribution to global growth for the first quarter of 47.7%, 27.9% and 24.4% respectively.
At 31 March 2001, the three operators had the following number of clients:
- France Telecom: 15,089,500 clients
- Cegetel-SFR: 10,616,000 clients
- Bouygues Telecom: 5,608,800 clients
Their respective market share was:
- 48.2% for France Telecom
- 33.9% for Cegetel-SFR
- 17.9% for Bouygues Telecom
Growth of the French market in volume was approximately 1.6 million new clients during the first quarter 2001. While this growth is lower than that recorded during Q1 2000, it is important to remember that January 2000 saw exceptional growth.
These results confirm the continuing strength of the French market.