Paris, 5 July 2001
As of 30 June 2001, there are 33,123,000 radiotelephone customers in France for a penetration rate of 55.1%. These figures cover metropolitan France and overseas departments.
In the first semester of 2001, net growth of operators' customer bases was as follows:
- Orange (France Télécom group) : 1,615,600 customers
- Cegetel group : 1,064,500 customers
- Bouygues group : 761,200 customers
This numerical data corresponds to a contribution to overall growth for the semester of 47%, 30.9% and 22.1%, respectively.
As of 30 June, the three operators' customer bases were as follows:
- Orange (France Télécom group): 15,926,400
- Cegetel-SFR group :11,224,300
- Télécom group : 5,972,300
This represents a market share of:
- 48% for Orange (France Télécom group)
- 34% for the Cegetel-SFR group
- 18% for the Bouygues group
Volume progression of the French market thus reached approximately 3.4 million new customers in the first semester of 2001. This growth is slightly under that of the first semester of 2000 (+3.7 million). Growth of the French market, then, remains sustained and steady.