Paris, 8 November 2016
Identified as one of the priority areas of focus during Arcep's strategic review, the Internet of Things is at the crossroads of issues that involve a considerable number of public sector players: public safety and homeland security, rights and freedoms, regional development, competitiveness… Working in tandem with France's Directorate-General for Enterprise, (DGE), the National Frequency Agency (ANFR), the National Network and Information Security Agency (ANSII), French data protection authority CNIL, France Stratégie, and the Directorate-General for Planning, Housing and Land Management (DGALN), Arcep initiated a series of projects to lay the groundwork for this revolution.
As one of the stages in the process, Arcep hosted a conference yesterday morning on the topic of "The Internet of Things: inventing innovation-friendly regulation". Speakers discussed the five main areas of focus for public action plans: connectivity, scarce resources, openness, trust and support. The complete proceedings are available for viewing, in French and English, on the dedicated website.
To coincide with this event, Arcep is publishing a White Paper composed of two documents:
- Mapping out the challenges of the IoT revolution, produced in partnership with fellow public sector stakeholders;
- Arcep's own roadmap for inventing innovation-friendly regulation, which includes opening up a "start-ups and trials" office, and creating a portal devoted to unlicensed frequencies.
This White Paper was made possible by contributions from some 60 players, through a round of discussions, a series of workshops and a public consultation on the White Paper's draft version.
Arcep will pursue its dialogue with stakeholders over the course of future thematic workshops.
• Document No. 1: A mapping of Arcep and its partners' understanding of the issues pertaining to the internet of things (pdf - 720 Ko) (in english version)
• Document No. 2 : Arcep's roadmap to develop a pro-innovation regulation (pdf - 255 Ko) (in english version)
• Internet of Things: inventing innovation-friendly regulation - White Paper Executive Summary (pdf - 576 Ko) (in english version)
• Contributions to the public consultation on the White Paper draft - RAR - 20 Mb (rar - 19.63 Mo)
• VoD stream of the symposium "IoT : inventing pro-innovation regulation", in French and English: Website